Help with New Anenome...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

method0075

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would like to get some help regarding my anenome... Currently using track lighting ( I know the experts are already rolling their eyes but please continue reading before you tear me a new one ;) )about 6inches from the waters surface. They are the GU-16 50watts each bulbs with the U/V filter removed. There are 4 on the track = 200 watts. But wait... I heard the true intensity of these lights can be counted as double what the wattage is. For instance 50 watts is really comprable to 100 watts.

Based on this I figured my 50 gallon tank would be producing 8 watts per gallon. Alot more then those dinky 15 watt flourescent tubes that most aquariums use.

I thought 8 watts per gallon would be sufficient. I have some rather high LR ledges almost to the top of the water line. I placed the Anenome up there and he has not been seen to move at all since I got him on saturday.

My tank is exploding with coraline and other growth since I added the new lights!

Here is my concern The anenome will not accept my silversides or anything else I feed it for that matter. I bought a cooking baster, and tried to squirt some phytoplankton and vitamin enriched Mysis shrimp directly into his mouth but he would close up and nothing seemed to go in.

Current health of anenome appears OK still tan/brown pink foot and engulfed tentacles. I have not seen him expel anything. When I go down stairs in the morning to turn on the lights he is often laying down on the LR. It perks right back up when the lights come on. I also notice at the end of the day he will be facing away from the lights as if they are to bright?

This has turned into an anenome thread sorry... If this creature is doomed I want to take to the fish store and give it up to them. I like to create life not destroy because my inexperience.

Alternative lighting can work but I wouldn’t trust the “double output” theory on the lights IMO. You might want to supplement with pc lighting to be on the safe side but as long as everything “seems” happy you should be ok. Coralline doesn’t actually need that much lighting to do well. Your bta is probably still adjusting since it’s only been a couple of days. Feeding once a week will probably give you better results, usually the biggest reason for death of bta is from overfeeding/lighting issues. It sounds like you know what to look for and what your feeding is ok so just hang in there.

Thanx for the reply. I have two more track lighting units I can add and am going to do that in the mean time till I can afford the MHs that I hear they thrive under

What can I say...I'm intreged. I do not have a good feeling about the use of interior track lighting to actually light a tank. Remember, it is not so much the wattage of the light as it is the TYPE of light that is important. You can hang 8watts/gal of NO lighting over a tank and it will not be as near as "useful" as 5watts/gal of MH lighting. Intensity and penetration are what's important when it comes to lighting. I also question the color of the light or the "spetrum". Most home lighting fixtures produce light very low on the spetrum, or very yellow/white light. Your coraline grwoth is more likely a product of higher CA levels then the lighting you have. As for the anemone...what species is it? As you know, anemones derive most of their energy from light. Target feeding anemones MAY help in the interum but it can also cause un-needed stress. Let us know how things go. I am not really a lighting technical expert but I would think a change may be needed in the very near ftuture.

I agree with what the advisor says about the lighting but I also caution about the feeding part. You can overfeed them. there are some of us that dont ever feed our anenomies. the lighting and any brine or plankton that is added will be enough. But they can be fed if you desire but be careful not to overdo it.

I have never seen good results when anemones of any type are fed. A mature tank that is supplemented regularly with Zoo Plankton, and other needed additives should handle an anemone without the need to pollute the water with feedings.

That said a small nano tank perhaps that does not have very well matured water may need the anemone fed since it is not taking in the nutrients from regular additives.

I'm no expert but my anemone has never been hand feed and is doing ok.

When I got him, I placed him up high so he would get lots of light and he was not liking it and moved down to where he is now.

Look at my gallery. He's on the right side on the bottom.

I never really "target" my anemones. If they catch my eye when I am feeding the tank I will squirt some mysis towards them with the baster. The cleaners usually steal it though.

Back
Top Bottom