Hermit Crab Environment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saltz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whats the simplest environment a hermit crab can live in? I will be taking a hermit crab to class for a week for a biology project and need to know whats the minimum equipment required. I've got all the hardware at home just need to get water. But also, do I need to have sand for the hermit crab? What would I feed it? I've had hermit crabs before but since I kept them in a running tank with live rock, fish, live sand, natural algae growth, and some left over food, there really was no feeding them, they thrived off the tank. But independently, what do I need to do? Also, whats the smallest required container size for one or two hermit crabs? I need this ASAP because I need to take it to class tomorrow.

I don't think you would need much but I can't give you specs. Do you plan on bringing a tank into class or what? HTH

small tank with hang on back filter and a couple pieces of LR rubble or a hunk of LR from your tank would do fine. sand not needed and you can feed him flake or brine shrimp every few days. You will need to keep up on the tops off so you don't get large swings in salinity.
I would not even worry about a light if its going to be in a class room where it can get room light.

Back
Top Bottom