Hermit crab question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know that we're supposed to put empty shells into our tanks for hermit crabs to move into, but I was wondering what would happen if I forgot?

Would the crab not molt, molt and hope same shell still fits, die, or something else?

The crab would continue to moult and grow even without available larger shells. If they get too large for their current home they will either fall prey to an animal that catch's them without a shell or succumb to deteriorating health due to improper "housing".

Most hermits will look for a new home before it is actually "needed" so there is still time to add appropriate sized larger shells for them.

Cheers
Steve

what kind of shells do you put into the tank for them and when should you do it. I has a pretty good sized snail die and the crabs ate him so ther is an empty shell in the tank so i left it in there. Will that work?

The size of the shell should not be that much larger than the hermit. If it is they will not be able to move it. Best suiggestion is go to the local hobby/craft store and buy some empty ones there. Should be fairly cheap, just be sure they are unpolished and boil them prior to placing in the tank.

Sometimes the LFS may be willing to part with some.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom