High calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pawnman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I have not tested the calcium in my tank for some time. Today I bought a new calcium test kit, and it was way high. What will this do to the tank? Will it cause death, sickness or anything else one would not like for the tank? Also how do i bring it down? I use Kent calcium as a supplement, although i will not use it for some time now. Thanks for any input you might have

Please define '...it was way high'. Some actual numbers will let us help you better understand your calcium levels.

The test kit went to 520 mg/L (ppm) with 26 drops added, I had to put 30 drops in

That does seem like a lot of calcium. Hold off on the Kent calcium.
What kind of test kit?

I'm still a noob to all this too, I just know what questions to ask. Its possible your test kit isn't the best...but just as likely you have some high Ca levels.

A water change would help bring it down.

high Ca

well Ca levels are sorta complicated. Lots of different chemical factors go into how much Ca will disolve in the water. Levels that high usually indicate things are off in some other area. I would say check the following things: pH, alkalinity, and Mg. These are the major things that tie into Ca levels. I would guess that your alkalinity is too low and causing this problem.

Yup..don't measure Ca independent of measure Alk. You can't conclude what to do until you know what both are doing.

Back
Top Bottom