High calcium and DSB

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

birman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been having high calcium level ~600mg and has not been successful in bringing it down. I understand that the optimum level is 420mg. Will high calcium affects my corals or fishes?

I've DSB of about 3.5inch. However, my tomato clown and the blue damsels keep pushing the sand towards the front leaving the centre shallower to ~2inches. Is it necessary and safe to add in additional sand? I heard DSB is good at controlling nitrate level. How long will it come into effect?

Why is your calcium so high in the first place? Are you dosing any calcium additives? What kind of salt mix are you using?

BTW, having a high calcium probably won't hurt much. But it is possible that it will begin to precipitate if the ALK is way out of balance. You will know if it happens because you will have a "snow storm" of white calcium in your tank.

I heard DSB is good at controlling nitrate level. How long will it come into effect?

Good question. I have had mine up for 1 month and see no nitrogen bubbles near the glass under the sand. But my nitrates do stay at 10ppm or below so I can't really complain right now.

Check this link out to give you an idea about how DSB work: http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm

high calcium level ~600mg

I find this highly suspect, I do not believe your CA can get that high at reef PH without causing a snowstorm precipitation event. What test kit are you using? Have you double checked it with another kit, or by the LFS?

Ditto what RR & Biggen said. What type of water are you using (RO/DI or tap water)? Also, what kind of salt mix? Almost all salt mixes, when properly mixed with RO water will have a calcium level of somewhere between 350 - 420. Given this, water changes would bring high calcium levels back in check.

If you are using tap water, this could be an issue - I have seem some well water which tested extremely high for ca.

I am going to ditto this also. When I started, I used tap water for top off and mixing... I remember testing my tap water at 300 - 350 CA. add that to a mix that adds 300 - 400 CA and you can have a mess on your hands. After the plethora of problems due to tap water, I switched to RO water and I don't have any problems now... I actually have to boost the CA to 400 to 450...

Thanks for all your responses. I've found the culprit for this high CA. I think there's some problem with my JBL test kit. I've purchased a new Salifert CA test kit and it shows my CA level to be around 480ppm.

Back
Top Bottom