High feeding without tank pollution?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canada911

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello guys, I am developping my Filter-Feeder-Only-tank :p And I really need to feed them ALOT since I whant them to grow!

BUT I already had a BIG problem with algae and I am REALLY scared of algea!! So I really want that the water quality stays perfect without nutritive element for algae to grow on... So I dont know what to do... :(

I had an Idea: If I feed live food that could remain alive in the tank untill being eated by the corals wouldnt that solve my problem??
Couldnt I put some Rotifer in the tank and a bit of phyto to keep them alive and make them reproduce??
Couldnt I put some Misis Shrimp to?? Without them dying?? I dont have any fish ... Only the coral could eat them....

Wath live food could I add that would STAY alive in the tank?? Without doing alot of pollution??

I only have a 30G..... So I can test some things...

THanks!!
Waiting for youre advices! :)

You could probably get by with adding a cap full of phyto daily to your tank. Phyto is a fairly potent food item and if you add to much you can quickly end up with green water from having more phyto in the tank than your filter feeders will consume.

^
hmm, the possibility of having green water isnt too much of a conscern: just have to start a filter to eliminate all the phyto... I could try this, but it wont cause a pic in ammonia or nutriment for bad algae??
And that means that if I can have a high concentration of phyto in the tank that I can also bring Rotifer in the tank too since they eat those no? But Rotifer use to do some wast I think...So not ammonia safe hey?
What does the phyto eats?? It a micro-algae so only light???? (I'm scare of not having enough nutrient in the tank for them)

and I would also need meety food... So what about the Brine shrimp... Could I be able to make them reproduce in the tank and have a big enough density for the filter feeder?? They eat Phyto so for the food its ok.. And will they make alot of ammonia by their waste??

Thanks again guys!

Have you thought of filtering through a refugium to allow a safehaven for food reproduction. Just a thought. You could buy some sort of loss leader at a lfs (10 Gal startup kit) to do this. Just a thought.

A refugium is almost like a separate small salt water fish tank set up in line with the display. Hobbyists generally house macro algae additional live rock crawling with rotifers, pods etc. It is a place that fish and inverts cannot get to to devour valuable marine life for filtration purposes. It's a glorified sump.

Ya I know but I dont have any fish or invert that would it the phyto or shrimps.... And I dont have any refugium, so bringing the brine shrimp directly in the main tank would be easier no??

Would brine shrimp be able to reproduce in the main tank? The only problem that I see (except if someone brings some other to me) is that brine shrimp molt often during there life cycle... So If I have many of them meaby all there molt will cause me major water pollution??

Back
Top Bottom