high light corals

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikej2275

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am new to salt water aquariums. I currently have a 20 gallon tank with led`s. What is a good high light coral that can be placed near the top of the tank on my live rock. They will be about 8 inches below the water surface.

What kind of LEDs?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
+1 just because you have leds doesnt mean you have high light.

Theres a ton of difference between Marineland leds which can barely support low light corals compared to the kessils which can support pretty much everything.

My lights are Orbit marine strip that my local supplier recommend. They are set at 70%

With that LED unit, I'd be only keeping Softies or Zoes, those units are junk for light. If your running a 20g tank, I'd assume your running a 18-24" unit, and that thing only has 18watts of LEDs. No way that will support any high light corals. My recommendation would be Softies only, and even then it would be pushing it.

I'd think lower light lps like Duncan's, acans and such would be fine too. Is it a 20 high or long?

Here is one of my tanks running Orbit Marine Lighting.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430002320.437389.jpg

That looks good to me. How many fixtures did you use? 18 watts isn't a lot of light but calling them junk is pretty harsh to the OP. You may need more than one and/or just grow softies.

Thanks, I run 2 bars on this tank and can grow anything in here.

Are these the same 18 watt fixtures the OP mentioned? So you only have two at 36 watts total?

I'm running two 48"-60" bars, 192 LEDs on each one ,46 watts each on my 72 gallon bow tank. I'm current running with Kessils on a tank, Taos on my 90 and ocean revive on another. The orbit lighting is my favorite by far with the overall growth. JMO.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430445035.291842.jpg

I wouldn't use them. Not enough light.
How are you comparing overall growth, to just a coral surviving? The softies in your tank, if they've been in there for a year now, should have grown 10x their initial size, if under the correct lighting.

Like I said, just my opinion. I think they are good lights and have grown my corals well enough to have a tank full enough with growth to move some over to the 3 other tanks. May not be a fit for everyone but do not believe in calling them garbage either.

I agree nobody should call anyone's choices garbage. But we are confused as to how only 36 watts will suffice for you.

I have run the two orbit led lights for over a year and the growth has been good. I'm by far no professional but am just stating the facts on this particular tank. Now I don't have 10x growth, I would say 5x which is good for me, I don't want the tank overgrown. It supports my anemone, clam, etc very happily.

I have 2 so a total 92 watts, I have followed the 1 watt per gallon philosophy that has worked on this tank well. Now for my other tanks I'm still running 3 different lights on each tank. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430521689.614079.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430521742.286693.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1430521774.810163.jpg

Still experimenting with different lights on each tank?.

Back
Top Bottom