High Magnesium levels?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carbon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just tested my water for magnesium for the first time in an effort to correct my KH deficiency, curious thing though my tests came out outrageously high 1680 ppm. Tested it twice just to be sure.. could this be due to my low calcium levels? wondering if this revelation is harm full to any of my fish / coral? where to go now? Thanks for any help!

sg 1.024
KH 7- 7.5 (SB 10 - 14?)
ph 8.3
Nitrate 0
amonia 0
Nitrite 0
calcium 280 ppm (rather low)
Magnesium 1680 ppm (rather high)

What salt do you use? Are you dosing anything? What brand test kit are you using?
Low calcium will not produce a high mag reading. Unless you are dosing Kent Tech-M mag supplement (the impurities can kill certain types of nusiance algae), the high mag levels won't affect anything.

using red sea coral life I usually don't ever dose anything leaving level corrections to my weekly pwc of 50 %. However I did use a dose of pro buffer dkh to address my alkalinity being so low for the first time in a year sounds weird but I haven't had to dose much of anything levels always stayed nominal until now. the lfs guy told me I should be on a regiment of magnesium one day calcium the next and buffer the next(which I have not done yet). so I bought a sera magnesium test kit and walla high magnesium.. one more important change that may be effecting DKH is the addition of some more coral and my purchase of a sunpaq halide a lot more light than from the pc's I was using?

Back
Top Bottom