Yeah I have to agree, 25 is a little high, but 40 ppm
is really the panic point for invertebrates. gilly what are your readings? Embarassing as it is when I started out I had readings as high as 80 ppm
in a reef with very little ill effects, though this was short term, I just wasn't well informed and did not test often enough. I pesonally have found that a sump/fuge with macro algae is the best way to go, IMO
. With this method I have experienced for the first time an absolute 0 reading in nitrates, ammonia, and nitrites. Testing weekly really ensures that you don't get to that "panic" point. Lando is on the right track, get the nitrates down, but then of course determine what is pushing your tank into the "red zone".