High nitrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leeh24

Aquarium Advice Regular
I all I have a problem that my river reef 94l tank has high nitrates they was up at 60 but I Can not get them any lower than 40. I placed a few snails in a couple of weeks ago, which i believed had died in transit and did not realise until a day or so later when they had not moved would this of caused my nitrates to increase ?? As there after i lost the rest of my snails. I have lr in main tank and also live rock in 2 of the back chambers of tank as advised from local store I also placed a purigen bag by intake at back last week. I have done a couple of 10/15% water changes over last two weeks but to no avail.other params are
Ph 8.0
No2 0
Amm 0
Calc 400
Sg 1.025
I have a skimmer running in tank and my stock is two percula clowns
One flame back angel
One striped blenny
And some hermits crabs and couple of shrimps
I was feedin twice daily now cut this too once a day and removing any in eaten flakes.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated I need to get snails back in there as algae is building up with out them.
I have no issues with fish.

Thanks

Lee

Attachments

• image-891412869.jpg
    image-891412869.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 105
  • image-3907371217.jpg
    image-3907371217.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 83
  • image-2888067101.jpg
    image-2888067101.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 86
I've been told to feed every other day and try throwing hair algae in one of the back chambers if it gets light it thrives on nitrates

if you have nitrates at 60ppm and do a 10% water change you would then have about 55ppm and then they climbed back up. If you wanna get them down do 40-50% water chnages every other day till they are gone. Hair algae is a bad idea unless you are talking about cheato but they wont bring them down to accepitable levels only help keep them there once you get the down. I would feed every other day or every 3days.

That's cheato and you are wrong they took mine from 80 to 10 in two weeks almost 3 where water changes for me were doing nothing

That's cheato and you are wrong they took mine from 80 to 10 in two weeks almost 3 where water changes for me were doing nothing

I have never seen cheato drop nitrates 70ppm in 2 weeks. Not saying they can't if you use enough. I am gald it worked for you. Didn't work for me when i had a FOWLR and trates hit 160+ big frequent water changes helped me get them to 20ppm once I hit 20ppm I started adding cheato, mangroves, halmida, and some other macro's to my sump, along with vodka dosing got them down and now they are at less than 1ppm.

Worked for me but I have a lot and in mine fuge it grows quick I have to cut it in half once every two weeks or so

Back
Top Bottom