High Nitrates!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanRamirez57

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I've had this tank for a few months and I can't seem to get nitrates under control. I've done major cleanings and water changes. I clean my canister filter weekly I've done everything I can think of and still get high nitrates while everything else reads good. My only guess is that it's the crushed coral substrate that is the problem. Would I be able to remove all crushed coral and have a bare bottom tank without starting another cycle?

What test kit are you using? How high? How long has the tank been up? IMO you could remove the coral and everything should be fine.make sure that's the cause.

All I have is my API but I take water samples to my LFS and they check it there as well. It was set up for 2 years when I got it and I've had it maybe 3 months now. I just finished building a sump but I'm going to wait for a little while to install it as I have to drill and paint the tank so I'm hoping that will help too!!

Attachments

• image-924924675.jpg
    image-924924675.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 89
You don't need to drill the tank. I certainly wouldn't drill if it's already set up. You would need to remove everything. Just get a hob overflow.

I m going to have to remove everything for paint anyways and I think they look better drilled

You can't see an hob overflow if the back is painted. But if you crack the glass your screwed. All your fish and coral are gone.

All I have is API my nitrates read high. I do weekly water changes set up a refigium two weeks ago well see. I believe API reads high I think they read total nitrates I read on here to divide by 4 your results. Idk if that's true. I have a hob oflow works great.Didnt want to drill older tank and stocked.

I am using RODI water and my stock list has a clown fish a six line wrasse and 2 damsel fish. Also have some coral about 50lbs of live rock but I just bought 35 lbs of dry rock to add. A cleaner shrimp and misc crabs and snails

Ummm am I missing something or does no one know the size of the tank which would really help? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious lol

Do you have a sump? Do you have any plants to take up nitrates (i.e. micro algae or chaeto)? A deep sand bed also helps. I much rather use of regular grain aragonite rather than crushed coral at the bottom of a tank.

What are you using in your canister filter? I have no canister filter & use mostly natural filtration. My nitrates are always zero.

I plan in switching to sand and I just built a sump but I haven't drilled the tank yet. In the filter there's filter pads and bio balls that I clean weekly

My brother has been into reef systems for years and says bioballs are great for freshwater yet terrible for saltwater. There may be a better type media that you could put in the canister instead (Matrix by Seachem). Consider taking the bioballs out & running it with just carbon to see if it makes a difference for you levels. You can put plants right in your tank even before you get a sump ready.

When you clean your filter all the time are you using tap water that is not treated/conditioner because that will kill beneficial bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom