HIGH TEMPERATURE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snowdude

Aquarium Advice Activist
My temp is rasing to about 82... not good.. My heater is off, and Ii do not want to get a chiller, to much of an investment... any sugestions? I thought about filling a soda bottle with water and freezing it, and then floating it in the tank until the temp stabilizes...

82 isn't a problem if that's your upper limit. Just make sure the lower limit isn't too far below that.

But to answer the question, personally I like the idea of running a closed loop through a cooler with ice water in it.

Very simple. Easiest/cheapest way would be to attach one end of a long section of tubing to one of your powerheads and the other end somewhere on the opposite side of the tank. Then just submerge the middle section of the tubing in ice water. You basically just want to circulate aquarium water through a tube which is in a colder environment.

i was thinking about this the other day after one of my tanks over heated !! what if you used lets say a 55 gallon drum and had your ro unit waste water drip into it and filled the drum with lets say 1/4" hose and let the overflow water drain out ?? my guess ya would be that the cold water would help alot !! just a thought

Remember if making a closed loop cooler/chiller, the thickness of the tubing is crucial. To be the most effective, the tubing has to be either very thin, or it has to be very conductive, otherwise very little heat transfer takes place. After all, the cooler loop is really just a chiller that is not automatically cooled.

Yeah, it's probably best if the ciculation is on the slower side too.

have you thought of a fan? set a fan up to blow over the top of your water. a fan on my system has helped lower the temp and keep it at a stable 80.
good luck,
Mermaid

i just keep ice in the sump and let the heater get it to the right temp. keep the sump water cold and then the heter will turn on and keep it at my 80. works great for me

I am not so sure that the things I have living in my Fuge would like to live in ice water, they seem to like the tropics a bit better. And yes, I kow you are talking about an unplanted sump.

I agree with Mermaid. I was hitting temps of 85 degrees. I put a fan over my sump and now my temp has been stable at 80.4. and I rum my MH right on top of the tank. Evaporation is one of the most effective methods for cooling a tank. The only problem is you have to keep up with the topoffs.

snowdude said:
My temp is rasing to about 82... not good...

LOL...You'll be fine if you keep it around 82, its much easier to keep it at 82 year round vs keeping it from getting to 82. 82 is fine. My tank runs from 82 to 84.

Back
Top Bottom