High water circulation causing Algae boom??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boxster

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank seems to have problem with high water circulation that I don't understand. I posted this same question to Wetwebmedia as well, but hopes you guys can help me too.
I have a 46g FOWLR equipped with Emperor 400 and Remora. Recently, I add another Maxijet1200 to increase water circulation. A day after that, I start to have Cyano. On the 2nd day, diatoms appeared on my sand and the Cyano gets worst. My conch snails also start to buried itself in the sand and never saw it coming out. Thinking that my algae boom may just be coincidence, I continue to let the PH runs for couple more days. Diatoms and Cyano continue to get worst and my Remora is collecting less in the cup but darker color. On the 5th day, I stop my PH and immediately, my Conch snail came out from the sand. My Cyano/diatoms is also getting better since. I checked my water parameter before and after I add the PH and the readings is the same.
Is my increased water circulation hurting my tank, shouldn't be right? Should I continue to run my PH?

Is my increased water circulation hurting my tank, shouldn't be right? Should I continue to run my PH?

I don't think it's the circulation...I think it is the patterns the velocity is causing. Instead of 1 large powerhead, go with a couple or 3 smaller powerheads to increase the intricacy of the flow. I think the large powerhead overwhelmed the other "currents" you had in the tank and basically you had 1 main current from oneside to the other. Having the smaller powerheads on opposing sides will cause them to crash in the middle and create turbulance, which is what you want. It will also help decrease dead spots and areas of low flow.

HTH.

Thanks for your response. What do you suggest? The Maxijet 1200 is rated at 295gph. Should I get the Maxijet400 rated at 106gph or the Maxijet600 rated 160gph.

I have a 45 gallon and I run 2 1200 maxi jet one on each side at the top, a 600 maxi on the bottom, and a 600 max in the middle all set on a wave timer and I do not have any problems with alge or dead spots.... Hope that helps......

Back
Top Bottom