High water safety shut-off switch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drummerdharris

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have an overflow box with 2 siphon tubes. Occasionally, the tubes clog with algae growth before I get a chance to clean them. The tubes stop siphoning and the pump continues to run and fills my display to the point of overflow. I have seen a product that will automatically shut off the pump in case water reaches the top of the display tank, but I cannot remember where I saw it. Does anybody have any suggestions? TIA.

David

If you have a little electronic exprience you can wire your return pump to a float switch like this one

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611760105&ccitem=

The switch is reversible so you have to make sure it is in the normally closed position so when the float rises it cuts the current. Check the wattage/current draw of your pump as this switch is only rated for 30 watts if your pump draws more then you'll need a beefier switch. Grainger is wholesale only but the site gives you an idea of what is out there. HTH

OMGoodness... don't pay that much for the switch though! check e-bay for "Float Switch" I paid $7 for mine. I bought a batch of 3 for $20 somthing.

Back
Top Bottom