Hitchhiker crabs dead/dying? Consequences for other livestoc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trophkid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is this a sign of poor water quiality? I tested the other day and everything was normal. NO3 was at 20ppm and everything else at zero. pH at 8.0

I did notice that on my hydrometer, it tested 1.035. I don't know if this is accurate or not. Do I need to add freshwater (Ro/DI of course)?

Tank specs:

29g
2 Aquaclear powerheads (175 gph each)
Seaclown 100 (no jokes please, this is my first marine tank and I bought it before researching)
45#'s of liverock, barebottom
30" Coralife Aqualight (2 x 65w)

1 clown
2 damsels
1 firefish
3 turbo snails
3 blue legged hermits
2 peppermint shrimp

I have a feeling it migt have to do with the specific gravity. All my water changes have been with saltwater and I have not put a drop of freshwater in it.

I found two fuzzy crabs just laying dead on the bottom and two other ones just out in the open not putting up much of a fight (I took them out).

I just don't want this to be a sign of trouble from my other livestock.

i would double check that salinity reading before i started adjusting for it

a refractometer is the way to go for accurate measurements...swing arm and floating hydrometeres IMO (and a lot of other peoples from what i have read) can be way off on there measurements.

Do you have a LFS that you can take a sample to and double check what you have before trying to adjust for it?

when you make your water for water changes do you check the salinity on it as well and if so what type of readings are you getting?

Back
Top Bottom