hitchiker question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ohio reefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
just got my 40#keys today there are some hikers on the rock that i'm not sure if they are good or not. please let me know

That is a cool pistol, if your gonna ditch him let me know and I can throw a few bucks your way for him :wink: I agree w/ rr, even though I have a few emeralds that haven't caused problem yet........

Hey guys... I have several crabs that I love. Three hitchhiker anenome crabs and two emeralds, I also have 8 of so I got from the liverocks order. They seem to get along well with everyone and do a great job of picking up the left overs... Why are all crabs bad in your book???

in pic one the thing behind the crab was a brittle star leg he wouldn't let go of.

i kept the pistol(sorry jamal) and i threw the crabs in my fish only tank.

thanks guys!

ohio reefer said:
i kept the pistol(sorry jamal) and i threw the crabs in my fish only tank.

Figured I"d try :wink:

reefobsessed:
A lot of crabs are not reef safe and are oportunstic feeders meaning they will eat whatever they can get there little claws on. Some have been know to kill fish, other crabs, shrimp, snails, and a lot will eat some corals as well. I bought a really cool looking mushroom a couple weeks bacl, it was in the tank for less than an hour before some little jerk brown hitchhiker I didn't even know was in my tank, found it and drug it under a rock. Some people have pretty good luck with emeralds but IMO crabs cause far more trouble than they are worth. BTW, I also had a large hermit kill a pearlscale butterfly when it was sleeping.

OHIO REEFER,,, "Ron of Triton" here. Your second and third pic's are of a porcelain crab. This type of crab is a filter feeder. If you will look close while it is in your tank, you will see it swinging it's two fore arms back and forth and at the ends of those arms you will see a very fine looking (fan) or fine filter (web). These fine web filters the water as he swings them back and forth to his mouth and removes the phytoplankton and other micro-organisms from the water colum."Ron of Triton" Porcelain Crabs will not harm anything in a reef tank. Excellent crab of all crabs.

No Mantis

Just so you don't panic. I don't see a Mantis in any of your pictures. One of the posts thought he saw one, but I disagree emphatically. Don't worry.

The first pic is some type of pistol shrimp. and a hairy stone crab, Stone crab is baad very bad. Will destroy many good things. The second and third pic's are Porcelain crabs, totaly harmless filteer feeders. Watch them as they pull there arms with fans on the end back and forth to feed off the microrganisms in the water colum. good crabs (Porcelain) will not harm anything in your reef tank,

Back
Top Bottom