HOB Filter vs HOB Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerulean_blue

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29gal SW Reef tank. It's been up for about 3 months no issues really. I have about 40lbs of LR and an Aquaclear 70 filter running.

I would like to populating my tank with enough copepods so I can get a mandarin in the future.

So I am wondering if I can switch my Aquaclear 70 into a HOB Refugium? I've seen posts on how to do it, my question is can I JUST have the refugium w/o the filter?

Thanks

Do you have a hob skimmer right now?

I am also looking at making changes to my 30g with just a filter. I can't keep up with the nitrates despite adding a cheato ball and light to the filter box. I'm currently doing 20% weekly wc and doubling up this week.
So I am interested in what you find out. I will be following this (if I can figure out how to on my phone).

Ingy said:
Do you have a hob skimmer right now?

I am also looking at making changes to my 30g with just a filter. I can't keep up with the nitrates despite adding a cheato ball and light to the filter box. I'm currently doing 20% weekly wc and doubling up this week.
So I am interested in what you find out. I will be following this (if I can figure out how to on my phone).

I do not have a skimmer. I use seachem purigin in my filter and that keeps the nitrates very low, I've never seen it higher than 10ppm.

If you want to do reef , best to avoid any mechanical filtration and use skimmer and LR for filtration , filters can quickly turn into nitrate factories , where as a skimmer will simply remove the waste from you DT preventing it from creating nitrates, I have a coral life 65g HOB skimmer , and a fluvol 206 canister that runs chemi pure and a phosphate media ( no sponges what so ever ) I use to have a nitrate problem with a 20% weekly WC , since I switched to this it's been 3 weeks with no WC and nitrates still at 0. As for a HOB refuge, with all the LR u have u should be able to keep a mandarin eventually.
Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom