HOB overflow Box Vs. Internal overflow box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishFrik

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Im thinking of replacing my old/scratched 75G tank w/ a new one in a couple of week. Im gonna add a 29G sump/fuge in the near future. I havn't decided that should i go with HOB or internal (drilled) overflow box. Here's my lil debate:

HOB Overflow
Pro: Smaller than the internal overflow box - More space in the tank
Con: More problems to concern about plumbing

Internal Overflow
Pro: Easier plumbing, no overflowing tanks problems to worry about
Con: Takes up too much space

I need inputs on this. Thanks

FF I think you have it narrowed down pretty good. To me it`s just a matter of personal preference. I have the internal solely because it came that way and I did not want to deal with a external overflow.

I just recently set up a external overflow and I also have a tank with an internal overflow.I alo was scared of leaks outside the tank.It seem to be alot easier to plumb on the outside of course. I used some rubber flexible lines to plumb with the tank has been running for about a month now and I trust it.

i put a HOB overflow on my 20 gallon tank awhile ago and its working out great. i ordered the overflow from aquacrylics.com, got a good price, very well shipped, good product. i admit its a little big for my 20 gallon tank, but its certainly not interfering with my setup by any means. the plumbing was also really not that hard either. i was a bit intimidated at first, but it only took about 30 minutes to get it all put together. so the take home point being that the HOB overflows are not that bad.

I have done both. I set up a 55 and then a 75 with a HOB unit and when I stepped up the 100 gallon I now have, I got that tank drilled with internal overflow.

First of all, let me say, you can have a HOB unit that never has any issues, ever. I had mine up and running for maybe 4 years, and there were a couple of issues over time. Siphon not starting up, leaks, stuff like that. Sometimes major issues like taking it apart to clean it. Remember, that thing is REALLY close to some powerful light and stuff WILL grow in those tubes, black tint or no.

My internal system has been up and running well over a year now. I guess a year and a half. NO ISSUES SO FAR.....

If I could do it all again, I would have got an internal overflow years ago, these systems are just easier to deal with. To clean my internal overflow, I just have to make sure the sump is LOW, turn the pump off, and wiggle the pipe from the bottom fitting and presto, I have the thing out and can clean it, not that it is ever all that dirty. No leaks, no mess.

It is up to you, but if you can afford the more expensive tank, go for the internal.

David

Thanks for the inputs. I've been reading and some people say that Lifereef overflow boxes are flawless. They are a bit pricey but if anyone can assure me that i'll never have problem with it, i think i'll try one. Anyone has one of these?

Interesting. I've thought about getting a sump but didn't want to drill the tank and didn't want to get a new tank. This HOB overflow boxes look pretty promising. And like you said fishfrik, I think I might try it if they're flawless, especially since our tank is sitting on hardwood flooring.

i like the fact that with the internal setup, the new ones from all-glass, it draws water from all depths of the tank.i know that maost of the crud is at the top but if you can get all that crap removed from the tank before it breaks down then your water should stay much more clean. also, you can do away with most of the power heads due to the water being siphoned from all levels.

less room but nicer aperance.

i have also been kicking the idea around about putting in an elbow on the return pipe inside the black overflows and piping one return on the bottom of the tank, under the sand, with outlets peeking through in order to keep the bottom stired up. got the idea from a freind and his works great.

I changed my mind XD I think im going to go with internal overflow. According to most of the suggestions i've got from RC and my reef buddies, I should to with internal b/c it's just easier to deal with

Back
Top Bottom