Hob protein skimmer or aquaclear Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Have a 3 mos old reef. Having algae issues for last 3 weeks. Bright green that forms on glass super fast. Also on rocks sand. Wiped off easily but comes right back. Do weekly 20% wcs. My nitrates are under 10 and phosphates are zero. Guessing algae using nutrients up almost instantly

So what would help me more and hob skimmer or an aquaclear 110 stuffed with cheato. If hob can anybody recommend a descent priced one

Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I am also having issues with surface film

Cut back on feeding and do large water changes. Increase the water circulation towards the top of the tank so you can skim the stuff out. That is the protein that you are putting into the water when you feed that isn't being removed, causing your algae growth.

Problem with cutting back on feeding is that clowns eat every thing. Have a high population of inverts that need to eat. Did cut back on feeding and light. Figured the cheato would out compete the bad algae

IMO ~ lower nutrients first.

My first couple tanks were not RR, and I tried everything,

I found for myself that the best export was a skimmer, (cost me alot more money in long run not having one), as the refugiums were not large nor adequate enough for what I was putting in at that time.

?

Are their actually decently priced nano hob filters out there that actually work

What about the aquac remora

I personally don't know much about it, I have read pretty good reviews when I was looking for my last nano.

Great price point.

Do you have any local reef forums in your area?
Usually can find some great deals on used equipment. Peoples Tank breakdowns and upgrades and such.

?

Seems like the remora s and the octopus bh 1000 are very similar in price. Both have good reviews. Seems like one of those will be good for me. Now to figure out which one.

Really don't trust used stuff unless a super big price diff

So with more research I think I will go with reef octopus bh 1000 over the aquac remora s.

Almost zero but I believe my algae is sucking up nutrients so fast that it is not registering

I have a AquaC Remora HOB on my 90G......invest in RO/DI unit if you don't have one. 10% weekly water change.

Which remora. How do you feel about it. Any flooding. That is my biggest fear. Do have an rodi unit

I have the reef octopus HOB skimmer and couldn't be happier with it. Pulls out great skimmate and is simple to clean. No flooding except for once when I plugged it in, however that was my fault as I had a sponge over the output to catch some of the bubbles I was worried about getting into my tank causing cloudiness. Turns out my mod was completely unnecessary.

What about the eshopps pk100. Can get a 6 mos old one for 50$

Daily water changes, around 20% for a week. Don't feed for first two days. when you say your phosphates are zero what kit are you using? Last is do a lights out period for 2 days on day 4, corals & livestock will survive.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

i just bought a reef octopus classic 100.

i love it

very high quality and VERY quiet!

you can rig the water input tube to get the surface film, but be careful bc evaporation can cause it to run dry.

people prefer the reef octobpus bh100 because the pump is exterior to the tank.

do NOT get coralife. just dont do it.

Back
Top Bottom