Homemade Wet/Dry...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewPhishGeek

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm thinking of building my own wet/dry filter, seems rather easy. All one would need is a large bin for a sump and a smaller bin for the bio filter, I figure for a 100gal tank I would need an 8gal bio bin, a protein skimmer in the sump and that would be enough.

Any one done this, is it worth it?

You could very easily build your own wet/dry. There are plenty of DIY plans on the internet that can help you along in your design phase.

Is your tank going to be a FO or a reef tank? If its a FO, then a wet/dry would be desirable. If its a reef tank, you don't want to use a wet/dry. LR and LS would be all the filtration you need.

I've built 2 sumps for FO tanks. One was made from a 15g tall aquarium and the other from a 3 drawer thingy from wal-mart. I'll take pics today if I can get my camera to work.

I would love to see your pics, jamal. I'm still trying to decide if I want to buy one or diy(m). I've got limited space under my tank, though. What are the dimensions of yours? What is a 3 drawer thingy?

super easy i made mine using a 20 gallon rubbermaid bin and bought a tall kitchen can and cut holes in the bottom !! filled it with bio balls and on the top i found a tupperware that just fit into the kitchen can and heated up the end of a file and poked holes all over it for a drip plate !! it that simple !!

Back
Top Bottom