Hoodless?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pisces3473

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm just getting into my reef tank and coming from the freshwater side of things thought a nice led hood would be good. After looking through many pics and observing the set-ups at the lfs, I've noticed how big and bright the lighting systems are. So here's my question, are you running hoodless and what kind of lights are you using? I know I want to do a reef tank, and am in the very early stages. Right now it'a a 10G FOWLR.

I have no hood and I'm running 250watts of LED. Basically i never have to turn a light on in that room again. My entire room is lit up a bluish purple, you can see it from 3 blocks down the street...lol

Seriously, you can.

image-1882307501.jpg

image-2389549172.jpg

Here is my hood set up on my 55 gallon.

image-227494459.jpg

image-3931108206.jpg

And a tank shot. To humble brag. :p

Beautiful tank! I'm guessing the LED's don't get too hot and over heat the tank. What kinda lights you using? Did you have to modify the hood for the lights to work?

Well I built the hood myself. They are 120watt leds. And I had 4 T5s in another hood I made and the tank was always around 80. Now it's around 78 constant that is usually what I run my Ac on in the house. So yea it's much cooler with the leds

Well I built the hood myself. They are 120watt leds. And I had 4 T5s in another hood I made and the tank was always around 80. Now it's around 78 constant that is usually what I run my Ac on in the house. So yea it's much cooler with the leds

I think I just ordered something similar to what you're using. Here's the ones I ordered. What brand are you using and how big your tank?

Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-AL09 White Aquarium Coral Reef Tank LED Grow Light (120W Output, Blue/White Ratio- 25:30; Two-Year Warranty): Patio, Lawn & Garden

image-797224257.jpg

I have a 55 gallon and I have two of these units about 7 inches from the rim of the tank

I have these lights of a 40b with a versa top. Lights are ultra bright.

You're using the ones I ordered on a 40g? How many, cause that's exactly what I was going to do later? I figured one for now and then order another later. I'll have to look into the versa top, thanks for sharing that tid bit!
:popcorn:

You're using the ones I ordered on a 40g? How many, cause that's exactly what I was going to do later? I figured one for now and then order another later. I'll have to look into the versa top, thanks for sharing that tid bit!
:popcorn:

Just one about six inches from the water. I'm running it on about 80%. About the versa top. Not a super fan of it. Felt it was overpriced and if can get annoying.

Just to let you know what I have for corals.... duncans, montis, favia, zoas, and shrooms. Nothing more than half way up. All growing

Back
Top Bottom