How big of a sump for a 125g reef tank??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
How big of a tank would you guys recommend I use for my sump in the 125 that will (eventually) be a reef tank? The final factor will of course be what I can fit under my stand that is in the works, but what should I think about getting my hands on?

My sump on my 75 gal is 100 gallons with a 20 gallon fuge. Then again, I really like stability.

Bearfan said:
My sump on my 75 gal is 100 gallons with a 20 gallon fuge. Then again, I really like stability.

Just checked out your picture of your sump. Big! Are there any baffles of any kind in it? Do you have live rock in it? Is the refuge connected to it at all?

No baffles, there is a piece of plexi glass just below the return from the tank to prevent air from bubbling down into areas where I have equipment.

I don't have any LR in the sump, and only minimal amount in the Fuge. I fuge is connected to the sump with a fairly low flow.

No LR, eh? Other than the skimmer, what other equipment do you have in the sump? Do you have any other filtration being used?

90 gal here with at least 15-20 gals in my sump...like they said up above...whatever size you want and what will fit your needs and stand

20 20 said:
No LR, eh? Other than the skimmer, what other equipment do you have in the sump? Do you have any other filtration being used?

I have 100# in my tank, in my sump are my heaters, auto-topoff, skimmer and fuge connection.

Bearfan, could you explain how you've got the fuge connected? I can't tell from the picture, and this setup looks like one I might go with. How long has it been running?

Back
Top Bottom