How Can I Filter Water Fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CP_ThunderGod

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When doing a water change it takes me forever to make the saltwater.

I have a tap water filter that takes forever.. Is there a faster way to make saltwater that's suitable for fish only w/ live rock?

:band:

what I do is I have a couple rubbermaid containers in the basement. Each one holds 22 gallons of water. I run the filter until those are full. Then when I need water I just take it from those and either top off the tank or start mixing salt for a water change. Then just turn the filter back on to refill the containers. THis way there is no waiting for the water when you need it. The rubbermaid contairs are quite inexspensive... I think I paid apx $5 each for mine.

as long as you keep a lid on it, perhaps aerate it once in a while if it sits for many weeks, there really shouldn't be any limit to how long you can keep it. The most important thing is to be sure the container and water stay clean. If bugs get into it (flying insects that drown, for example) and they are allowed to decay you can eventualy end up with stagnated water. I've had water in containers for weeks with no problems at all. If you're concerned with it at all, give it a smell. if you smell much of anything something has probably soured your water. don't use it, wash the container out with a 1/10 bleach to water solution and rinse throughly and re-fill the container with new water.

What type of filter do you use for water purification? How long does it take you to fill the tubs?

I have a Fish Only Tank with Live Rock.

I bought a tap water filter for $40 and the refills are about $20. It has carbon and some green stuff that dionizes the water.. Then the stuff changes color from green to purple and when it's all purple it's time to get a new one.

I just want to do this the best way and fastest?

Some people tell me I can just fill a tub with tap water and throw some dechlorinator and denitrifier solution in and were good to go. I don't know if I trust that though...

Some people tell me I can just fill a tub with tap water and throw some dechlorinator and denitrifier solution in and were good to go. I don't know if I trust that though...
that will work fine for a fresh water system, but there are too many other things that need to be removed from the water for a SW tank for that to be a good option.

I use a Reverse Osmosis (RO) filter. These can produce pure water anywhere from 20 gallons per day (GPD) up to 100 GPD or more. The higher the GPD, the higher the cost. There are also RO/DI filters that take one additional step in filtering (the de-ionizing you mentioned) they cost a little more but you also get cleaner water.

My RO filter is a 25 GPD so it takes just about 1 full day to fill one of my 22 gallon tubs. But, I usualy only use5-10 gallons out of the tub at a time and I have two full all the time, so I am never without water on hand. Even if I needed a mass amount in an emergency, I've got 44 gallons on hand and can have another 25 ready the next day... this is more than I will EVER need (until i get a bigger tank that is! :mrgreen: )

Would a rubbermade trash can work for this? Would the lid for the can seal it enough? Or should you use a different container with a lid that actually makes a good seal? I can't remember if the garbage can lids fit that tight, or does that even matter just as long as something won't get in it? And lastly, would you reccommend cleaning out the container with the bleach solution before use?

a rubbermaid trashcan will do fine.. I belive fishfreek uses them himself. The lid doesn't need to be air tight, it just needs to keep dust/bugs/bottles of laundry detergent from falling into it.

I honestly don't know about the bleach. I wouldn't think that the bleach would cause a reaction with the plastic the container is made of.. but i don't know if it wouldn't either. I would suggest you use a new container (they're only $4-5) rather than using one that used to actualy be a garbage can... that I would try and avoid.

I was talking about a new container...If I got a new one, would I have to clean it out first. Kinda like how you are supposed to wash out a water bottle or someother kind of container you buy before you ise it. Above, you said if the water smells bad b/c it got contaminated to wash it out with a 1/10 bleach solution.

sorry... my confusion. I thought you were talking about just using bleach to clean out a used can (i'm not sure why i assumed you were talking about a used can).

You should at least rinse out a new container. If you want to wash it, if you stick to the 1/10 bleach to water solution there shouldn't be any issue with the bleach reacting to anything (if there would be anyway)

Back
Top Bottom