How Can I Remove "Coralline" Algae Fron An Acrylic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chiselchst

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings,

I am new to this Forum, and need advice badly. I just receiced (free) a 100 gallon acrylic aquarium, that has what the person called "Coralline" algea on it. I guess he had live coral that caused this build up.

It's a real bad case, and no longer transparent!

Does anyone know how I can remove this stuff without damaging the acrylic? All input appreciated.

Thanks,
Mitch

Check and see if this will harm the acrylic, but the easiest way is gonna be to fill it up with FW and add several gallons of vinegar, and let it sit. The lowered ph will dissolce the CA in the algae and remove it. Another is to use a credit card and scrape it, I would also do this with the tank full, otherwise the algae will scratch the acrilyc as it's moved across the surface of the tank.

mrmarine,

(I am not sure if that question was directed at me?)

In my case at least, it's so bad it impairs the vision in to the tank. The guy that gave me the tank replaced it with a glass tank. He said it was easier to clean the coraline algea off the glass.

Thanks,
Mitch

yea, there's nothing "wrong" with coraline unless it's on teh side of the tank that you look through :wink:

and BTW, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com Chiselchst :!: :mrgreen:

Thanks for replies, and thanks for the Welcome!

I called a good Marine Aquarium shop, and he said vinegar also. So I researched it on the web, and they did NOT warn AGAINST it in a long list of stuff that they do not recommend.

So I bought 5-gallons of cheap vinegar, and layed the tank on a blanketed bench, and used 2-gallons vinegar (5% acid) to completely cover the front inside surface (not mixed with any water - my water has a pH of 9). After about 20 minutes I could notice a difference. I will remove the vinegar as soon as I can, then rotate the tank, and do the sides.

Thanks,
Mitch

I have an acrylic tank and use a scraper made by Kent. It works great, of course my tank is full. :D

...Just a follow up from the vinegar treatment. It worked great. I did NOT mix the vinegar with water (my water has a pH of 9). After letting it sit overnight with a then layer covering the front inside peice, it all came of with ease. No apparent change or damage to acrylic.

I did replace the vinegar twice, as it seemed the first couple of treatments just neutralized the vinegar real fast.

Also (FYI), while at work, we ran a pH of vinegar on a commercial machine. Vinegar pH measured 2.5, thus the ability to safely? remove the coralline algae.

Thanks everyone!
Mitch

Back
Top Bottom