How can I remove cyanobacteria?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

harryggumb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Recently I've my nice clean sand has been overcome by Cyanobacteria. All my levels are normal and I have done water changes but still cant quite shake the red film that keeps covering the sand. I've cleaned it but yet it came back pretty much overnight! :taped: please help!!

I dealt with it in my old tank and yes it’s a pain in the ... . Siphoning and netting up the slime is an option and gets rid of it. Also increasing your flow will help. I have a powder that you put into the water that would get rid of it in days, as soon as I get home from school I will send A pic of it. It works ver well

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! It’s so annoying I just can’t shake it ughh makes the tank look terrible too

IMG_1515444592.298555.jpg

This is what I used. You can find it at ur local salt water fish store or online. The directions are very simple just make sure to dissolve the powder in a cup of sw before adding it into your tank. Continue to siphon and net out as much as you can but the powder will do most of the work :)

Cyano will reappear when the lights come back on.
Until you address the flow and nutrients in the water column, which is what Cyanobacteria thrives on, you won’t be able to get ahead of things.
Make sure you are using ro/di water for top offs and water changes. Manually remove it during water changes. I’d also add an additional powerhead to the system to get the flow going better.

Back
Top Bottom