How do hob overflows work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crister13

Aquarium Advice Addict
I used a hob overflow on my 75g. You probably know about how you have to start the siphon and stuff so I was wondering if your power went out would your pump just burn out? Cause I was thinking about using my old wet/dry in addition the my current sump. It would definately work very well. How does this work tho?

No, your pump should not burn out unless something happened to break the siphon. The skimmer box inside the tank should keep some water in it in the event the power goes out as should the intake box on the outside. Once water stops overflowing from the tank into the skimmer box, the levels in the skimmer and intake boxes equalize and there is still water in the siphon tube. Once the power kicks back on, the return pump sends water into the tank, then into the skimmer box, essentially getting the siphon out of equalibrium making water move from the skimmer box into the intake box. Where folks seem to have problems is when the water level gets low in the sump and you start pumping air into the tank which ends up in the siphon tube breaking the siphon. In this case, the return pump emptys the sump and water no longer moves from the skimmer box to the intake box. That is the advantage of a drilled overflow - there's no siphon to break.

Last edited:
Oh ok thanks. Looks like ill be getting some new bioballs and setting up my old sump. WOOHOO!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom