How do I break up a rock with shrooms on it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
HEre is my rock:

2102911480061578502HohUer_ph.jpg

What I want to do is either break this rock into a few pieces or take the mushrroms off of it and move them to other areas of my tank. I need to make room at the bottom of the tank to move my sand polyups there. Right now the polyups are gettign too much light at the top of the tank.

How can I break this rock up or move the mushrooms without hurting them? Can I tak it out of the water and use a hammer and screwdriver? Should I use a drill? Or does this have to be done underwater somehow? Or do I jsut somehow scrape the mushrooms off the rock and glue them to another rock?

Also how do you probagate a mushroom? Do you jsut cut it in half?

You can take them out of the water for a short while, chip (break) with a screwdriver and a hammer and you should be fine.. even if you rip a few, the result will be in a few more shrooms.. 8)

shrooms are pretty much bulletproof. You can propagate them by cutting them and all the pieces should grow into new mushrooms.

Ok but if you cut a section off what do you do with that cut section? DO you let it float around the tank? Do you glue it to something? DO you wedge it between a rock?

jasno999 said:

I've read that glueing shrooms is difficult to do. I would either rubber band them, or tie a mesh material over them until they attach to the rock. You could wedge it into a rock to i suppose...although that seems a little precarious. But if you have some nice cracks taht will work out good for that, why not try it. I think the point is that you can be creative in the method you use to attach the shroom to the rock. You don't want it floating around the tank. Just be sure not to use any adhesive or substance that will contanminate the water.

Ya as Zenn said, use a mesh. You can get bridal veil and wrap the shroom to the rock and after a few days it will be attached.

Here is a great place for all your propigation needs....

www.garf.org Go down to the propigation link. You will actually find one for shrooms.;)

Back
Top Bottom