how do i capture and move an urchin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mp3z24

Aquarium Advice Freak
i'll start by saying ive got a purple urchin that came as a hitchhiker on my live rock. now, ive been toying with the idea of re-aquascaping so my rock doesnt just look like a pile of rocks. but i cant do this with the urchin in the tank.

how do i catch the urchin without breaking off a good number of the spines? all i want to do is move him to my QT, do some construction work in the tank, and move him back to the main tank. probably a weekend job, but definately too much activity in the tank to not hurt him if i kept him in there during all the work.

any help?

~mike

Wait till he gets off the rock or glass and pick him up. i have a pencil that glues himself to LR...

Bump it a several times with a stick, scraper etc. Stop and wait for it to take off trying to get away from getting bumped. When it is on the move bump it firmly again an it will come loose since it does not have a good "foothold"

LOL! Mine carried around my hydormeter, couldn't get it off him, I had to wait till he changed it. I took a pic of it, I'll try to post it this weekend!

Back
Top Bottom