How do I change the sand bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have crushed coral in my tank and I have had problems with nitrates being high. Do you think it would be easier to change to aragonite the size of sugar or should I just get some sort of snails to do the work for me? I don't really like the look of the crushed coral, I didn't buy it myself by the way. If I do change from CC to aragonite, will it change the chemistry of my water a lot?? How would I go about changing it?? Will it be better at filtering when it is smaller? Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Josh

go to the articles section and at the bottom in General Info theres an article on changing out your substrate.

I read somewhere that you can use a pair of pantyhose and place the sand in there and the bacteria will come out of the old substrate and into the new through the panthoise. Is this true??

Thanks,
Josh

Joshsmit56001 said:
Is this true??
Yes, it allows the bacteria and some smaller types of the fauna to migrate to the new sandbed. If swapping CC out to replace with sand, you can also use cheese clothe which will allow for even larger types of fauna to colonize the new sanbed.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom