How do i frag this leather? Pic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was just wondering if anyone could help give me some info on how to frag this leather coral i have. Details on how to do it would be great. TIA

Attachments

• leather_full.jpg
    leather_full.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 186
Hey, fragging leathers is actually pretty easy.

Get a fresh razor blade and just slice an offshooting branch, then either stick it in a crevice or glue it to a rock. Cut as close to the main body as you can!

It's super easy, but don't get discouraged if the frag doesn't stand up for a week or two, it will...eventually.

honestly i dont know the local fish store i bought it from couldnt tell me. The manager game me a deal on corals for $30 a coral so i couldnt turn that down. To be honest im not sure what kind it is if you could help me identify it that would be great...never heard of an octopus leather. The leather is very big its about 6-7 inches in diameter all the way around and has no stalk. its on a 4" piece of rock and the leather looks hugh. What is an octopus leather? Do different leathers frag differently? Thanks!

I have a pair of SS scissors that I use. If you just want a frag or two just cut a stalk or two off at the base. I see it as pruning a tree except the cut limbs are your frags :)

You could probably cut it in half and then quarters and so on if you wanted too. I have never done a radical frag though.

what do you mean a radical frag? LOL on leathers do you want to cut the base or just the "limbs" of it? Never fragged before so it will be a good experience. How many times are you able to frag it at the same time. What i mean is can you cut off like 3 fingers or is it better to just cut off 1 ? TIA

You can absolutely cut more than one, but be reasonable, don't stress out the coral too much. Cut the limbs, not the base.

Ok i didnt know if i was able to i think i will just cut one to be on the safe side though and see how that turns out first.

FWIW, it is not recommended to frag a coral if it has not been in your tank for atleast a few months(4-6 minimum). Target feeding it for a few weeks before the fragging also helps the coral deal w/ the stress and aids in long term survival and growth of the frag. HTH

I would do one or two and see how it goes.

If you watch some the garf videos, they just cut the heads off and the cut that into small pieces. That is radical to me.

dralarms why what is it worth? I figured it was a good deal for $30 but wasnt sure i cant figure out what kind of leather it is....Anyone know or have an idea of what kind of leather it is? Well i have had it in my tank for about 5 days and it has opened up fully its about 3 times as big as when i bought it and starting to get little bumps (like most leathers do) on it. It seems to be very happy with where i placed it in the tank. What do you think its possible to frag this? Do people really wait that long to frag a coral 4-6 months? My friend josh got a coral and fragged it in a month an is doing fine. What kind of feeding is good for a leather?

My lfs had one not nearly as nice for 90 bux. 8O I wanted it but didn't have the funds at the time and when I went back he had sold it. Have you seen it expand to full height yet? They are awsome. :mrgreen:

I have a toadstool leather that I need to frag but I'm not that brave yet, I don't want to loose it or detract from it's looks, when it's expanded it's really great looking.

Sure, I got some frags also. Stupid lfs won't even let me set up a tank and do all the maint. on it to set my frags in to sell on consignment, anyway, here is a picture of the tank with the frags.

Attachments

• dscn0005_208.jpg
    dscn0005_208.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 20
  • dscn0006.jpg
    dscn0006.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 26
And here's where they came from.

Attachments

• dscn0007.jpg
    dscn0007.jpg
    199 KB · Views: 24
  • dscn0008.jpg
    dscn0008.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 20
Nice looking man too bad i already have a full rock of star polyps and then some.....although always interested! :wink:

Back
Top Bottom