how do i make a sump for 100 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefmaster

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey all, im finally getting a new tank! whooo!!!!! My parents are getting me a 100 gallon reef tank and i currently have a 30 reef tank. Lol, they are getting me this becasue i am graduating onto highschool. I dont think its a big deal, but getting the free aquarium is sweet :). I was wondering if i could convert my 30 gallon into a sump for my 100 gallon. How much would it cost to get a 100 gallon? $1500? Its hard finding parts for the 100 gallon on the internet. I might sell my left over stuff on ebay or give it to someone who wants to start a 30 gallon.

cya.
rick

Give ur stuff to me!!! XD I have a 30G heh :p

I was looking at setting up a 72G Oceanic. The guy at the LFS said it would cost around $1200 for starting with light/sump/fuge/auto top off/sand/etc. but without any fish or inverts. I think 1500 would be reasonable for a 100G. Congratz on ur new 100G! Man i wish my parents would do that to me lol

I was wondering if i could convert my 30 gallon into a sump for my 100 gallon.

You can use your 30 gal for a sump. I converted one for my 210 and it worked great. I had to get some lexan from the lhs, cut it to the right dimensions and silicone it to the aquarium. The hard part was finding the pvc bulkheads to connect the drain hose from the overflow to the sump. I've later noticed that marine stores carries and over abundance of these pvc fittings that would work great. A 30 gal is also a very good size to incorporate a skimmer into it, plus have room for heaters and your main pump.

How much would it cost to get a 100 gallon? $1500? Its hard finding parts for the 100 gallon on the internet.

This part you lost me on. Are you talking sump or aquarium?

Another good sorce of info on making sump and fuges out of lexan only is below. A good read to say the least.

http://www.melevsreef.com/

question

what am i going to do with all of my livestock while i build the sump out of my 30 gallon? Im kinda stuck here, lol.

reefmaster said:
what am i going to do with all of my livestock while i build the sump out of my 30 gallon? Im kinda stuck here, lol.
Good question. That is going to be the interesting part. Is there anyone you know that could house all you stock for a couple days in there reef tank, or do they have a quarantine tank, or can you take your stock to the lfs and have them hold if for you? It may sound a little crazy but could you get a big rubbermaid container and swap everthing over for a couple of days while you build and set up the main tank? A couple days of darkness shouldn't hurt that much.

Or face the fact that in your situation you may need to hold of on building one and buy the filtration prebuilt to handle your new tank and use the 30 for a qt.

I don't think u have to build the sump "before" you set up the main tank. Just cycle ur 100G, slowly move ur livestocks from the 30G to it. Then once everything is transferred, build a sump out of the 30G.

Am i understanding ur question correctly? lol

Back
Top Bottom