How do I make my fish eat seaweed/nori?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Firefish1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have tried putting on a LR but that didn't work. So I heard about the garlic method but I do not know what garlic to use? Can I use garlic powder and mix it in water? Plz answer:popcorn:

I have tried putting on a LR but that didn't work. So I heard about the garlic method but I do not know what garlic to use? Can I use garlic powder and mix it in water? Plz answer:popcorn:

I wouldn't use garlic powder; I'm sure it's not just "garlic " dehydrated. I use a garlic substance called garlic xtreme, by kent marine. $10 approx and u only use 1-2 drops. I also use a veggie clip for seaweed. If u want to disperse the garlic put a drop or two in a 1/4c of water and soak seaweed in it for a minute. What fish do u want to eat the seaweed?

I want my 2 tangs to eat eat the seaweed or all the fishes.

I put my seaweed in a clip that's suctioned to the glass. My tang eats it off there and the clowns eat a little too. But my tang eats anything and everything.

My fish just eat it out of the clip, it took about a week for them to find it though. Now they all love it, my cleaner shrimp is always first to a new sheet and spreads pieces into the water that my fish catch. I almost gave up with mine until I saw my coral beauty picking at it one day. Mine says it contains garlic so thy might have helped entice them.

image-2180095201.jpg

I would buy your nori at the supermarket, not the LFS. If you can find an Asian supermarket, that's even better. They sell the sushi nori very cheap, and you know it's fresh, because it's food grade.

I would buy your nori at the supermarket, not the LFS. If you can find an Asian supermarket, that's even better. They sell the sushi nori very cheap, and you know it's fresh, because it's food grade.

Good call, I will do that from now on. I just picked this up when I bought my coral beauty to keep him well fed and away from my coral. So far so good.

I bought a veggie clip on eBay that has a magnetic which I can lower it down to the bottom of the tank. This one works much better than the suction cup one IMO

mr_X said:
Seaweed. The very stuff they wrap sushi in.

Ah ok! I usually buy the one from Lfs, but maybe I should try those!

Just make sure you get the unseasoned stuff. Way cheaper than the lfs. What kind of fish are you trying to feed? I missed that bit.

MacDracor said:
Just make sure you get the unseasoned stuff. Way cheaper than the lfs. What kind of fish are you trying to feed? I missed that bit.

Well my fox face and algae blenny eat it no problem... The other person was having trouble getting tangs to eat.

Another trick I recommend is to cut it into rectangles about 1" by 2". Stack about 4 of those rectangles together and cut it lengthwise, but not all the wat through so it looks kind of like a comb. Put that into your clip and see how the fish react. Doing this (along with a couple drops of the garlic extract) was what turned my fish onto it. I have a melanarus wrasse who attacks it and reminds me of a shark ripping up a fish. One day I'm sure he'll come away with the entire clip. The only fish I have who won't eat it is a cardinal fish.

Back
Top Bottom