how do i make my tank more blue?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mistermismatch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi i currently have a 24" t5 coralife light fixture with a 10,000k 24w bulb and a blue actinic bulb. my tank looks really white, its a beautiful tank but ive seen so many tanks that have blue glow to them and ive seen some with LEDs and some without. how would you guys reccommend i get a nice blue effect in my tank without negatively effecting the light that my corals get. and if the easiest solution is to get blue LEDs would they have to be the big expensive ones i see in magazines and stores or could i get any old strip of bright blue LED's? (i have some ideas). please pardon my lack of research pertaining the matter.

How big of a tank do you have? You could get a 4 bulb 50/50 fixture and remove one 10,000K, or get another 1 bulb strip w/actinic. Or build your own light if you have a canopy you can secure them to (and if you have a little technical know-how). Also could get an LED strip and put it adjacent to the T5 strip.

Or you could add blue food coloring. Just kidding. Don't do that.

my idea was to get one or 2 strips of LEDs from autozone (i know just bare with me). the y have strips of ultra bright car leds (underglow) that go underneath cars. they are very resiliant to water and salt. they have 3 ft strips for like 30 bucks. they are super bright.

now back to my question would i need some specific kind of LED fixture or would my idea have some potential???? im assuming that blue LED lights would mostly be for asthetic purposes rather than coral growth so im guessing that i would only need enough output to brighten up the tank a bit. 2 cents for a penny pincher?????

You could do that, a bunch of different aquarium places sell similar LED "stunner strips." These are mostly for aesthetic purposes but some blue is important to coral growth and coloration. The only thing I might be worried about is the specific wavelength of the autozone LEDs, they might promote algae growth though usually higher color temperatures are normally to blame for that.

I would buy one and just put it over your tank with no other lights and see how you like the look/color before you go all out.

Back
Top Bottom