how do you aireate your water??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clarkii clown

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am using an air pump with air disk in one corner of my tank and the air bubbles get blown all the way round the tank.

Does so many small air bubles in the water cause any problems to the fish, coral or anemone ?

If I add a skimmer to my tank would this airate the water enough for me to remove the air stone ?

I have tried placing the airstone in different places and adjust my power head and pump out take but the air bubbles still get blown around the tank. Can I place the airstone right under the water line or would this not aireate the water as well?

How do others aireate there tanks ??

Thanks for you help in advance.

From what I have heard, having an airstone in your tank will cause an excessive ammount of salt creep. When the bubbles break the surface of the water, it will splash on your hood and you will get salt creep (dried salt) everywhere. You do not need an airstone to aerate your water. A skimmer and a powerhead or two will aireate it enough. I would put one PH near the surface of the water and the other one in the middle of the tank somewhere......that should move plenty of water around to keep it aerated. :wink:

I would doubt that the tiny bubbles would cause much harm, since most reef inhabitants would be exposed to them in the wild by the breaking surf...

getting oxygen in a SW tank is very different than using bubblers in a FW tank. All that is needed for aeration is to have at least one powerhead directing water across the top surface of your tank. Plenty of water agitation at the surface will give plenty of gas exchange for your SW tank. Adjust your powerheads and remove your airstone.

Excesive bubbles can actualy be harmful to some fish/critters and can kill some clumps of algae on your LR if the bubbles form airpockets in your LR.

If you have a sump the water will be aerated by nature of falling water. Air stones are unsightly and do take away from the beauty of the tank.

add a protein skimmer, this has many effects including aeration in the bottom of your tank. How large is your tank?

visi-jet 100 protein skimmer is enough for a 70 gallon tank. Within 1 day of adding mine, the water was absolutely "crisp and clear". Protein skimmers are worth every penny, you must still resaerch what is right for your tank....

aeration is better than a pump when just a visi-jet 100 PS. My tank is 30 Gallons. Visi-jet 100 is good for upto a 70 Gallon tank.
good luck

Skimmers are a good source of moving water around, but they don't really move a big volume of water. I have a skimmer and a fluval filter moving water in my tank and was told that still was a little bit low....so now i have a 200gph Rio powerhead in there as well.

Back
Top Bottom