How do you balance the flow in your tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keegoib

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 120 gallon tank with a tidepool 2 wet/dry and a magdrive 9.5. I am having trouble balancing the flow with the 2 ball valve I installed. I set the output of the pump full open. On the return to the sump though, it is either I have to much or not enough. Does it always take time or are there some tricks to it.

Please help. I'm tired of looking at empty water.

Garrick

What kind of overflow do you have? is the tank drilled? or do you have an external overflow? Pics of you system (or a diagram) of how you have it set up might help.

it's impossible to 'balance' any sort of direct return without having an air tight sump or a computer controlling the water levels.

the way you've described your setup, it definately sounds like you are trying to do a direct siphon from the tank to the sump.
the return to the sump though, it is either I have to much or not enough.
sorry, but this method will not work and is doomed to failure. even if you get things balanced so they look to be equal, you will end up with a mess and possibly a burned out pump.

to get water out of your tank you need an overflow, which externally is two boxes connected with a siphon tube, internally it is a piece of plastic surrounding a drain hole/pipe.

hope this helps

Thanks. I didn't really want to here that. I figured it work the same, until I actually thought about it. The problem is I have a limited amount of space behind the tank (~2.5") the overflow I have needs about 3.5". Are there overflows that require less space?

Are there any disavantages to inline filter setups like the AF-93?

There are thinline overfows. I dont know if any are that thin. You could always construct your own overflow.

yea, if you build yourself an overflow, you could have two 3/4" drains in it, keeping the width about 1.5 inches onside the tank.

I don't think anyone has any for sale that small, because its too hard to work with such small pieces of plastic... but it could be done!

Back
Top Bottom