How do you get rid of an Isopod?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But!!!! who wouldnt want one of these...???

380353_028542ead3.jpg

unknown.jpg

Holy crap, that thing looks like it could eat a cat.

I found this on aquahobby.com and can't figure out if it's BS or not:

"I have had a six line wrasse for about seven months now and just last week I saw him do something truly amazing. I bought a fairly large Yellow Tang to add color to by 280 liter tank about a month ago and he was not doing very well. After a couple of weeks, Ich started spreading on him and he would not eat. I've never seen a fish recover from Ich so I considered it to be just a matter of time before the Tang would succumb to the parasites. I glanced at the tank one evening and it looked like the six line wrasse was picking on the Tang. I went over to the tank and after looking closer I saw that the wrasse was eating the white Ich off of the Tang! He would pick it off of the Tang's body and the Tang would hold still for the wrasse (either he knew that the wrasse was saving him or it just felt good kinda like scratching). Anyway the Tang would hold one fin still while the wrasse picked off the parasites and then he would expand his top fin so the wrasse could get in between his fins. The two continued this activity for several days. It was truly amazing. As of now the Tang has started eating again and does not look to have any Ich at all on him. He still looks to have lost some of his color but I'm hoping that it will come back soon. Without the six-line wrasse, the Yellow Tang would probably be dead by now."

There are a lot of wrasse that do this (the most noted is the cleaner wrasse). Some fish come to expect it from the wrasse family, I see my angel swim up to a canary wrasse and lie on it's side holding it's fin up.. occasionally the wrasse will help out (not ich, sometimes just general irritants).. There are more suited fish to this task, however some fish like the cleaner wrasse, can't survive without this food source and are known to be reluctant to change, and should not be purchased.

They will pick at ich, but they aren't known to "cure it" and they themselves are susceptible to ich.. not good practice.

There are also gobies noted for this such as the neon goby that are also cleaner fish.

And as for the one in the picture.. there are bigger ones out there, and in some countries, they are food. reverse the picture..

u know those potato bugs?...that roll in a ball? (i called em "rolly pollys" when i was little)...they look like that hahaha

I've never heard of a Potato Bug being called a Rolie Polie. I always called Rolie Polies Pillbugs, but Potato bugs are giant ugly things, also called Mole Crickets, or in spanish, "Ninos de la tierra" (children of the dirt).

Sorry, I know this really has nothing to do with aquaria, but the topic cought my attention...

maybe it wasnt a potato bug or my sister called it that lol, but the tiny tiny rolly polly things...u know what im talking about lol

OMG! SCENE: Isopod Behavior

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1]Isopod Behavior[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]Grade Level: Elementary, Middle School
Ecological Concepts: Behavior
[/SIZE]
Isopods are small crustaceans related to lobsters, crabs and crayfish. Most species of isopods are marine, but some are terrestrial. Common names for terrestrial isopods are pill bug, rolly polly, potato bug and sowbug. Some roll up into a ball when disturbed, others crawl away quickly. They generally eat decaying wood, leaves, and other vegetation. Isopods breathe through gills and so must live in moist areas. They prefer darkness, as well. They are part of the nutrient and energy cycles as detritivores.

That's funny... I had never heard of those creatures referred to as Potato Bugs. This is what I grew up calling a Potato Bug. Much larger, and much uglier! Definitely not an Isopod.

Attachments

• Mole_cricket.jpg
    Mole_cricket.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 435
Back
Top Bottom