How do you get rid of aptasia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcj0033

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought a new acropora piece about 2 days ago the problem is i found aptasia on it. What's the best way besides peppermint shrimp to get rid of it and not harm my acropora?

Berghia Nudibranch or copper banded butterfly fish, you can train it to eat them from your hand.

Berghia's are pretty expensive and you need alot of them. Butterflys are hard to get to eat and it's not a guaranteee they will eat the aipastia. I had two copperbands, one ate them all and the other wouldnt touch them but also wouldnt eat and died. Not a hardy fish imo.

Or you can take your rock to crabby Ron's and dip it in their tank and it will eat them off of it for you, while your still holding it. I think something was wrong with your fish.

My fish? Not every copperband will eat aipastia. My g/f has one as well and he hasnt touched a single aipatasia in her tank either. It's never a real solution to buy a critter to take care of an issue. She also tried a filefish and he wouldnt eat them either and her peppermints arent touching them as well. I havent had much luck with the peppermints either. It's all hit or miss and depends on the fish. ANother example would be a lawnmower blenny for algae. I have two of them and one eats meaty foods and they are vegetarians! LOL So go figure. lol

Crabby Ron's also lets you use their copper band fish to clean your tank.

Hey, I use apitasia x in one tank and bergia's in another. You really only need two medium bergia's or three to be safe and as soon as they find a food source they will start their reproducing. I have 2-3 new egg batches every 1-2 weeks. It is slow to start out but once they get going it will be done in no time. I waited for one of my 40 gallons to flourish with apitasia and then got my bergia's and they did a great job doing their thing ever since. All this is dependent on you not having any of their predators in the tank. Another way I have found to work depending on tank set up, is in my QT tank the copper medicine took care of the apatasia too. But if you have fish in there don't over dose and don't do this at all if you have inverts, but it also took care of a few fire worms I had in there too. Just a bunch of food for thought for you.

Back
Top Bottom