how do you get rid or nudibranches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weemanpow3

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a peice of zoo that is the size of 2 softbals and every month it closes up do to nudibranches keep growing back and tring to eat the zoos. I dip them in lugos solution and they are fine for a month then the nudibranches come back. I have been been tring to get ride of them for 3 months now and nothing has worked. Can some please tell me is their a nother way to get rid of them.

How do you know it is a nudibranch? and they dont "grow back", they are a creature. You remove it, it is gone.

then whats eating my zoos. when they close up I can see little stuff on the zoo that look just like the nudibranches.

Any chance you can get a pic? Otherwise we are shooting in the dark...

I honestly couldnt tell from the picture, my old eyes just dont see well enough. If they are zoanthid eating nudibranch, I have heard that salifert's flatworm exit will take care of the problem. I am surprised that you continue to see them after you remove them from the corals as you should not have a breeding population. That is what I meant by once they are off, they should be gone.

You might want to check this out just to see if it is the same critter:
http://www.seaslugforum.net/display.cfm?id=18140

I talked to a guy on another forums and he said that they lay 1/8 string eggs that contain 40 of them per string and I have taken them out and problem still occures. I will probley trade the zoo to my LFS.

contaminating other folks with obnoxious pests is not a very cool thing to do. I can't see them wanting to accept them knowing they have pests.

I definately would not trade them in. Nudibranchs are a pain but they can be dealt with. Dipping them in FW/lugols/FW exit is the so called nudi dip. It will take care of the adult nudi's. You have to remove the egg sacks yourself. If you are just removing the nudi, you are leaving the eggs. I think once they are big enough to see, they can lay eggs.

You will need to remove the rock. Dip it for 5-10 minutes and then put the rock under a strong actinic light. I used a flash light with a blue filter with good results. Take a tooth brush and lightly scrub the eggs off. Then swish the rock in the solution again. The eggs look like a swirly string type substance. The eggs are generally laid on the stalk of the zoo.

I had these little suckers a yr and a half ago. I had to QT all of my zoo colonies and do periodic dips. Some of my colonies did not make it. Some are now making a come back. Some wrasses will also eat the nudi's. I seemed to have good results with a sixline wrasse but the wrasse is hit or miss. Supposedly a sea grass wrasse is the wrasse of choice but they are uncommon and I am not sure they are reef safe.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom