How do you keep a QT cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, doesn't your QT become uncycled if there is nothing in it? What do you all do to make sure your QT stays cycled?

Also, how do you cycle a QT? I know your are not supposed to use LR, so I was also wondering what you use.

These questions are pertaining to my future larger QT tank, not my 10g QT that I am using to treat ich right now.

Thanks. :)

I always use a chunk or 2 from my display ,and also ALWAYS keep an HOB filter running on my display with some foam insert in it..When its time to QT i pull it off and fill up the QT and you have an instant QT/hospital tank ready to go

I always use a chunk or 2 from my display ,and also ALWAYS keep an HOB filter running on my display with some foam insert in it..When its time to QT i pull it off and fill up the QT and you have an instant QT/hospital tank ready to go

So when you buy a new fish, you pull out two pieces of rock from your DT, pull off your HOB and add the fish. Then when you are ready to put the fish in your DT, you put the rock back in?

What do you do with the rock if the fish has a disease like ich (because you can't put it back in the DT)?

Thanks!

If I wanted to keep the QT going 24/7, could I just put in some flakes every now and then for the bacteria?

Thank you.

So when you buy a new fish, you pull out two pieces of rock from your DT, pull off your HOB and add the fish. Then when you are ready to put the fish in your DT, you put the rock back in?

What do you do with the rock if the fish has a disease like ich (because you can't put it back in the DT)?

Thanks!
After QT you could put the rocks in a bucket and PH for a couple months then transfer it back to DT..
I used to keep my QT up 24/7/365 ,but it turned into my angler tank:lol:
Thats the risk of keeping a tank up and running :brows:
When i did keep it up i had a few hermits and pep shrimps in it at all times ,,then when i knew it was QT time the inverts went into my sump..

After QT you could put the rocks in a bucket and PH for a couple months then transfer it back to DT..
I used to keep my QT up 24/7/365 ,but it turned into my angler tank:lol:
Thats the risk of keeping a tank up and running :brows:
When i did keep it up i had a few hermits and pep shrimps in it at all times ,,then when i knew it was QT time the inverts went into my sump..

Sounds cool, thanks! So many options, lol.

I just keep an extra foam pad in my canister and when I need to qt I pull it out and replace it with a new one. Then I never put that used one back in after qt.

Back
Top Bottom