How do you QT a Dragonet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gear-head

Aquarium Advice Freak
OK, so ... a Spotted or Green Mandarin needs a constant supply of pods to eat.

Assume the display tank has enough LR and a pod population to support a Mandarin.

And assume that a QT would not have many pods, if any.

What does the poor little fishie live on for 3 weeks whilst in quarantine?

This is a good chance to see if them will accept frozen food. try some different things.
Also, I would no longer bring a fish home that I could not see eating at the LFS first.
You colud also try getting some pods from your prefilter in your main. When I change mine, there are a ton of them on the pad. I put them back in near my scooter and she chows them down.

I had to move my mandarin to my display early for this very reason. I have heard that they are a little less susceptible to ich but I don't know if I believe it :)

Mine was in QT for 2 weeks when I noticed his belly shrinking. He is fatter than ever in my display.

The filter idea is a good one. I keep a filter in my fuge in case I need to collect any pods. I had a tank that I thought did not have any pods until I cleaned the prefilter on one of the PH's :)

I faced the same problem with my manderin. I did not QT it becuase of no food source. It is doing great and has been for serveral months. They are not very prone to ick, they have a pretty think mucus coating with helps protect them.

If you used a few sponges couldn't you transfer 2 or 3 between the quarantine and the fuge/main tank, that way he would cosntantly have a fresh supply of pods? Then just keep changing so he gets more? Just an idea, I don't even have water in my tank yet. So don't lsiten to me :?

Back
Top Bottom