how do you set up a skimmer?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok i just got extreamly lucky and picked up a brand new prism skimmer for 25 bucks and would like to set it up on my 15 gal nano. it may be a little overkill but i dont care lol. i just have no idea how this thing works. besides filling it up and plugging it in after hanging it on the back of the tank. i dont understand the knob on top of the intake tube or the airline tubing going into the top section. someone who has set one of theses up please enlighten me. unfortunatly it didnt come with instructions lol. thanks

I have never used a prism but there will be people on here that might know. We as moderators have to keep threads where they belong or the site will become messy. It is usually slow during the weekend. If you have not heard any good advice by Monday let me know and I`ll move it back but I have an obligation to keep things tidy. Can you call or email the company and get some instruction sent to you. Where did you get it at?

i got it from a guy on buy and sell site that i go onto. kinda like super shopper. unfortunatly he got the box and instructions wet while trying it. he was going to go salt water but he started breeding moba instead and needed the tank. so he tried it on his freshwater tank and spilt water everywhere lol. i will see if i can contact red sea. but i am sure atleast one person on here has tried or owns one. i will wait in hopes for a response.

well not really weekends but superbowl weekend lol. i got it running and making alot of noise lol but i dont realy know if it is working yet. i will have to wait to see if it produces and skum tonight or not.

When your looking at the protein skimmer from the front of the tank you will see 2 nipple looking pieces attached to the collector. Attach the hose to the left one and turn the knob on the intake pipe shut. This will build up suction and you will see the water rise and enter the skimmer. Once it is primed you can open the knob and move the hose to the right nipple thing. This will then suck in air to create your bubbles. The knob adjusts the amount of water flow. Too much and the collector will fill fast. You will have to adjust as you go to find your right spot. Hope this helped. This is how my Prism functions.

very helpful. i was playing around with it. it was the primng i was having a hard time with. i have been playing around with it to get the foamy part right. it will probabaly take me a few days to get it going. thanks alot.

Back
Top Bottom