How do you tell LFS they are wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well Alk has always been low,

I just havent tested for it in a long time because I really dont need Alk as of yet.

When I get some corals Ill start testing/dosing

running a pet store is a lot of work. Folks come in and out all day long. some ask questions and want help, others dont ask questions but need help, others dont ask questions because they're well versed. Others are well versed and ask questions to "check" the merchant (yep, i'm guilty). Someone running a store has the make decisions on who to give time to and who will actually benefit from his time. Ultimately, he's running a store and needs to stay in buisness.

You asked questions because you wanted information. He's decided your one of the customers asking for help and care about the shrimp surviving so he appears to be working to helping you towards that goal.

so.. why don't you give him a call and ask again. otherwise there's nothing anyone here can help with in regards to "telling the lfs they're wrong".

Well I dont want to argue with them they might jack their prices up to 200% the price of other people instead of 150%

There is always the internet.

put calcuim in your water and take a sample to the fish store to get it tested.

Actually Ive asked questions I know the answer to as well (Like, What do seahorses need to live?) He actually said they are hard to care for, and told me why I shouldnt get one, lol.

I actually didnt ask him about the shrimp.

He kept asking for some water, I gave it to him.

A couple weeks later I went in to get a shrimp and he said "Have you added any XXXX?"
Of cource the answer is no, so he wouldnt let me...

Again I say, please do not dose without testing.....

PS. Jason, he said it wasnt calcium afterall....

Why not test your Ca levels, and Alk, then use some super buffer and liquid calcium to slowly bring it up ? I did this to my tank and it is now dead on the money on all parameters ive tested for. :)

Oh so wait he knew you hadn't tested the water and asked you if you had added stuff to it then wouldn't let you get a shrimp because you hadn't added something that you didn't know you needed?

yeah you should probably get your own test kit and stick to the internet.

zacdl said:
Actually Ive asked questions I know the answer to as well (Like, What do seahorses need to live?) He actually said they are hard to care for, and told me why I shouldnt get one, lol.

I must be missing the joke. Seahorses can be difficult to care for and pretty much require a species specific tank...

more and more it seems like your lfs is trying to help you and give you the best chance at keeping this shrimp alive... and it seems that instead of making an effort to learn, you're trying to just get what you want and be done with it.

Billy, of course, is right...everything I've ever read about sea horses state even the hardiest, easiest sea horse species still need a tank free of predation, and typically a species only tank, with less circulation than a reef tank.

Even if you don't have corals, you need sufficient alkalinity to maintain a proper pH for your fish.
Your LFS sounds like one of the most caring stores I've ever heard of. Even my LFS here will let a person buy fish 24 hours after they buy a new tank, because they need to turn a profit to stay in business.

Perhaps the question isn't "how do you tell an LFS they are wrong" and rather "how does one accept that the LFS might just be correct"...

Keep in mind that if they sell you something and it dies, that the tendency is to bad mouth the LFS to as many people that will listen. However, if you buy something and it lives, you don't tell anyone as you "expect" them to live. By insuring that your water is correctly balanced to handle something like sensitive shrimp, they are helping to insure their good reputation. I commend them as well. They obviously care about more than just making repeated sales due to dead sealife.

Sirlight, Im getting a 2 in 1 cal and alk thingy.

Billy,
I do like you do sometimes... I ask a Q to see how they answer me. So far they answered the right way (like discouraged me from that seahorse)

So far they havent told me anything that led me astray (mainly cuz I ask all my questions on here so I dont ask them much)

Hara, Well I do commend them for the more quality life than you will normally find.

Someone on here suggested their prices are overpriced because the fish come from a repuatable dealer who sells quality life.

That doesnt explain the overprised dry good though :)

This LFS will still sell you anything though if you come in there acting like you know what you want.

sometimes you gotta trade higher prices for a better quality store. Sounds like you have a good one.

any luck remembering what it was they wanted you to raise in your water?

I love cleaner shrimps!!! They'll even clean your fingernails if you let them :lol: of course we are not supposed to do that..

Are you that paranoid about local pets shops, that you feel they will jack only YOUR prices up because you asked a question?

Give them a call back and ask them what it was your tank was missing. Once they give you the answer post back to the board and we can tell you if its accurate or not.

Again I think your spouting off about something you don't know anything about and need to get the story straight and then complain if they are wrong.

Hehehe, no I was just kidding...

Im planning on going back in a couple weeks, Ill just find out then (Im seeing if they have any firefish)

zacdl said:
Hehehe, no I was just kidding...

Im planning on going back in a couple weeks, Ill just find out then (Im seeing if they have any firefish)

that's your choice... but if you call them now and ask, you might be able to address what it is they're asking you to fix before you go back and you might be able to actually get that shrimp when you go back up there in a couple weeks... come on now.. take some initiative and pick up the phone :D

Back
Top Bottom