How fast can pH rise and be safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamal-188

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm tired of dripping kalk and want to just top off with kalk water. How fast can pH rise and not harm anything? For example if the pH is 8.0 and I add a gallon of kalk it will rise to about 8.4 but I'm assuming that would shock the animals/corals pretty bad. But when I drip kalk at about 1-2 drops a second during the day the pH gets to around 8.5 which from what I read isn't very healthy either. I'll probably hook up a float switch/bucket system soon but am going on vacation for 2 weeks and won't have time before so I"m figuring out how my neighbor can do this the easiet way....guess she'll just have to set up a gallon to drip everynight?

You can safely raise the pH 0.2/day. It is not wise to use a kalk slurry unless you have a pH monitor. The test kits are not sensitive enough and can be fooled.

Cheers
Steve

I do have a pH monitor but my pH swings more than .2 per day. In the morning it can be around 8.0 and later in the day approaches 8.4-8.5 even if I drip kalk very very slow, I don't know what to do, guess I should really look at a 2 part addiative instead of trying to drip so much kalk.

Actually that kind of change in pH is normal. What I was refering to was 0.2 over normal values. Sudden changes are more volatile than slow steady increases throughout the day.

If you attempt the slurry method it is best done in the AM well before lights on to prevent a large "total" shifts in pH. Since it's at it's lowest point at that time, the impact is much easier on the system. I have never done this myself but there are step by step instructions in Eric Bornemans book "Coral Propagation".

Cheers
Steve

My PH usually hover around 8-8.2. I noticed this morning it was at 7.79. Is this dangerously low? It was at 6am I know this is the low point of the day, but should I add something to buffer it up a bit? If so whats the best way to do it?
I just added some live sand, rock rubble and some macro, could this be the cause? I was doubting that is was considering the water volume of my tank.
Thanks in advance. Sorry Jamel, not trying to thread jack.

My PH usually hover around 8-8.2. I noticed this morning it was at 7.79. Is this dangerously low? It was at 6am I know this is the low point of the day, but should I add something to buffer it up a bit? If so whats the best way to do it?
I just added some live sand, rock rubble and some macro, could this be the cause? I was doubting that is was considering the water volume of my tank.
Thanks in advance. Sorry Jamel, not trying to thread jack.

quarryshark said:
My PH usually hover around 8-8.2. I noticed this morning it was at 7.79. Is this dangerously low?
It's low but I would not call it dangerous. It is common for the pH to be as low 7.8 at that time of day. The only way to keep it boosted would be to drip kalk at night. Unless you see some negative reactions in the health of your animals or the alk is low also, I wouldn't sweat it just yet. Keep an eye on it though.

Cheers
Steve

Have you guys tried REVERSE lighting in a fuge?? That has solved my PH swings at night!! One of the best things I did for the tank

Thanks all. In fact I am setting up my fuge next week. Coverting the wet dry.

Back
Top Bottom