How fast can you increase the specific gravity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thefidget

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My clownfish were in a quarantine tank for over four weeks after a bout with marine velvet. The SG of the quarantine is 1.022. I acclimated them to the display tank over two hours and dropped them in. The main tank is 1.025. Is there any reason I should worry?

Thanks!
Michelle

That's a fairly big jump over the course of a couple of hours, it is usually recommended not to change the SG by more than .001 per day, however most fish can handle it pretty well.

I know, that's why I'm worried. I had measured both tanks with a swinging arm hydrometer, and they came out the same - 1.023. Then I borrowed my friend's refractometer to double-check (after I had added the fish) and it came out that they were quite different. Thus making me very worried, but I can't really do anything but hope it went ok now. :oops:
I'm going to as least get a bobbing hydrometer if not a refractometer. I don't want to torture poor fish like that again. 8O

Thanks for your help!

At least clowns are generally pretty tough fish so they should be fine. Good thing you double checked. Just goes to show that we shouldn't alway trust our equipment. Even expensive stuff doesn't work all the time.

Back
Top Bottom