How fat is your fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gregcoyote

Aquarium Advice Addict
Topic: is it possible to have fish that are too fat?

My tangs are known for their thickness. If I didn't love them I would say they are about right for breading and a frying pan. My general theory is that a well fed (surgeonfish in this case) is a happy, calm and healthy fish.

Is your fish too fat? Is that even possible?

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406257818.941785.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can't say for in a fish tank but the ones I've seen on the reefs have a belly that is wider than their dorsal thickness. I think they need all that food just to keep up with their activity levels. ?
Could it be like a Panda Bear thing? ( They eat a lot of Bamboo because it has little nutritional value so they need a lot of it to keep them going.) Something to think about........ ;)
NICE Hippo BTW :)

I agree, I think their gut is pretty short and they are built to graze. Almost continuously.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

This was probably my fattest fish. lol But my blue tang is super thick, he still thinks he can get between certain rocks sideways but he is way too fat. hehehe

My lawnmower is really fat like that too. Always grazing on the algae growth in my tank. Got so big he has become aggressive towards other fish that were added after him.

Back
Top Bottom