How hot is too hot?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stuffer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
in all honesty, how hot is too hot for a reef aquarium? I have heard 82+ is too hot. is this for a prolonged period? :?

Yes, 82+ is when it starts to get too hot for all of your animals. Any period of time over a couple of days would be too much. Simply keep the temperature down. HTH

The particular benefit I see is that that is the temp at which my tank stays stable. Stability is incredibly important. It is better to keep the tank a tad warmer then to have huge fluctuations in temperature. This is the temp mine stays at with just fans running.

I agree with Hara, as long as the temperture doesn't fluctuate to the point where in the morning it is 75 and at night it reaches 82 or something of that matter. Just IMO.

82-84 is an ok temp for reef tanks. it used to be preached that anything above 80 would kill most reef inverts. That is not true and we now know that the low to mid eights (up to about 84) is alright for the reef aquarium. Although once you go to 86 up to 90 you will see the flesh literally melt off most SPS corals and anything above that will kill most shrimp and other inverts.

I am still in the camp that says 74-76 is the best reef temp though.

Back
Top Bottom