How I finally got rid of my cyano!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everybody--

I just wanted to share my experience as it may be helpful to someone.

To start off and to make a long story short, I've been battling cyano for years--you can do a search if you want all the details, but it's been well documented on here. The short version--I've tried everything, and I mean everything anyone has ever mentioned to no avail.

So here's how I did it: I had tried all chemical products too, but the cyano always returned. So this time, I treated with the usual red slime remover but not just for 2 or 4 days. I treated for two weeks, while doing 20% PWC's every 48 hours and then re-treating. Now, just for the record, I don't recommend this, but I was desperate.

The real kicker, though, is that I'm not sure that this is all that did it. You see, at this same time I switched salts from Kent to Reef Crystals because of all that I have read on here, especially that study from MACNA. So all of those PWC's were done with Reef Crystals (I almost used a whole bucket in two weeks--ha)

Well, it's been about ten days and no cyano! I'm still keeping my fingers crossed, but in the past I noticed the cyano return within a week or so.

Hope this helps someone--Reef Crystals rule!

I would think it is more the water changes every 2 days....either way, hopefully it is gone for you.

Hara said:
I would think it is more the water changes every 2 days....either way, hopefully it is gone for you.
It could go either way. I also, switched from IO to RC and have noticed a difference. It is hard to tell if the same conditions are not met. They frequent PWCs could have helped, but they changed the parameters by changing salt....so who knows, at this point. Dr.Nate did state he tried everything.....so, again, who knows. I'll report on mine as well, since I switched. Hope I didn't offend.

Hara said:

I agree that this is a big part of it. Hopefully it`s gone.

<--------CLUELESS ABOUT THE "REEF CRYSTAL" THING....anybody want to catch me up? i would imagine it's a brand of salt, if "IO" is instant ocean. i use instant ocean, but i dont want any problems.thanks

Yeah, you are correct, it is a brand of salt. I just wanted to switch out brands, to see if it made a difference. I do agree, the more frequent PWCs probably did the trick, or at least helped quite a bit. IME, I took the sponges out of my canister and that helped for a while, but I still had the cyano creep back up. I also did more frequent PWCs/less feeding/lighting, but it always came back. Of course I didn't have an RO/DI (going to hook it up this weekend), so that could have been a problem, as well.

Wow. I didn't realize salt brands made such a difference. Thanx for the link melosu! The salt I initially used was IO. I only bought a 50 gal bag, cuz that's all I could carry. When I went back to the LFS, they had no buckets of IO, so I just grabbed the one next to it, which was Reef Crystals. Cool!!!!!! I was gonna mix what's left over of my IO into the bucket of Reef crystals, but I'm glad I didn't. I'll just use the rest of the IO till it's gone and switch to Reef crystals and see how that works for me. Thanx for the tip! Def don't want cyano!

reef crystal's here i come, too bad. i get my 15 lb bags for 12.00 bucks at the lfs. how much does a 15 lb of reef crystals run approx. ?

This is a sale price, but it gives you the idea.....$12 for a small bag is not bad. I order the large one from LiveAquaria and there is no extra charge for overweight shipping.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ..._-Salt_Mixes&ref=3969&subref=AA&N=2004+113009

And for those of you who say it's the PWC's only, I've done a rigorous schedule similar before, but the cyano just came back. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm just saying that I'm getting a different result this time around with the new salt (so far--I know it's still early)

Just to clarify, in case someone misinterprets my salt study pages. ALL of the salts had cyano at some point in time. IO had it worst of all and almost non stop. I just dont want anyone thinking that changing salts alone is going to be a cure-all to cyano.

Back
Top Bottom