how long could they last without food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fuvibo1

Aquarium Advice Activist
i want to know how long could my fish last without food, because i am going on a trip and need to be away for about 2 - 3 weeks and no one is welling to feed my fish, i was wondering what is a good way to do this, and does the feeding timer work any good?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/NavResults.cfm?Ne=40000&N=2004+62741&ref=3055&subref=AD

Some auto feeders at this site. Also might want to consider a top-off unit. I think that's what they're called. They work by a float which tells when the water level is low in your sump and adds fresh water from a nearby bucket or something. Sounds like you also need to be concerned about water evaporation and elevated salt levels in what's left.

I've left for 6 days, fed a little heavy and topped off the water before I left and had no problems. 2 - 3 weeks is SERIOUS. I'm sure you'll get more advice.

how does that top off level thing work? i think i forgot about the water evaporation.

Water evaporation would be my #1 concern...... You would have come back to a mess. There are no LFS that offer a service for a fee? I would pay them to have them check on the tank once a week or every 5 days... Thats just me..... My fish are important to me...
Float switch placed in the sump and when the level drops the float switch calls for water if hooked to a PH. I have a bucket under my stand with a FS in the sump. i have the PH in the bucket plugged into the cord that the float switch is part of and when water level drops the Power head turns on pumping water into the sump. I have a salt bucket of water on my 125 reef which lasts about 5 days before I have to fill it again. My 55 uses a 4 gal bucket which lasts about 7-8 days. The 10 gal tank you have my be a problem with evap.... Good luck..

Evaporation would definately be my concern.

You have no neighborboys or what not you could pay to look after things for you? Just leave the jugs of water right next to the tank, and put a piece of tape on the tank marking the top of the water, and when to put new water in from the jug.

what part of houston are you in? I used to go to a store in south houston called fishland. They had some pretty nice folks in there, you might want to talk to someone in there to see if they would come in maybe twice a week or so.
But me, I dont trust anyone to take care of my tanks, so I dont go anywhere. (sometimes we build our own prisons :))

Back
Top Bottom