how long does it take

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nels22

Aquarium Advice Activist
i just hooked up my r/o d/i unit and flushed the r/o filters, and am now in the process of filling the compresion tank so i can empty it, and fill it again...what the manual called for. it has been filling for an hour, and seems to be just a little water in it. does it usually take this long, it is a 100 gpd unit, so i didn't expect too much, probably will be much better when that tank finally gets full, does this sound right?

You should see about 4 gal/ hr with that unit. I have a different unit, and the break in period was a bit slower than the expected gph. If the source water is high in TDS it will take longer to produce clean water. As it has more impurities to remove. If your unit didn't come with a tds meter, then I would suggest one to tell you when to replace the cartriges.

depends on the temp of your water and the pressure.. for me my 100gpd makes maybe 2gph because I have 40 psi COLD well water

jaiden, that's what i am looking at too, so will be slower than expected, will take all day to start filling my aquarium, but oh well.

darb, i plan on geting a tds within the next month, didn't figure i needed it for awhile, i'm sure it is working properly now so no need to check. thanks for the input, thought maybe i hooked it up wrong, although there really isn't a way you can do that.

it took me 3 days of morning/night fills... I put 3 gal in in the morning when I woke up , then another 1-2 when I was ready to go to work. by the time I got home, there was another 3 gal, and before bed I got in another 2 pressure tankfulls.

I got my TDS on ebay (with temp gauge) for $22

exactly what i was thinking about doing......i can just put the r/o d/i water into the tank and then add the salt when it is almost full right?? otherwise should i buy a rubbermaid tub and mix it in there....it is a new tank with just a dsb in it, and maxi-jet 1200 ph's and a aquac remora pro skimmer, heater is on the way

Yeah, the only thing is you want the water you put the sand in to be salty first... if you get freshwater in/under the sand it'll never clear out...

I put in 5" of water, mixed in some salt, then put in the sand... then filled up with fresh and added more salt when it was full.

Back
Top Bottom