How long have you kept a Mandarine alive?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree they are awesome. :-D If I had to take a pod eating scooter or the mandarin I would have chosen the mandarin. But maybe fate has stepped in and the scooter is the fish I'm supposed to have. lol

I agree they are awesome. :-D If I had to take a pod eating scooter or the mandarin I would have chosen the mandarin. But maybe fate has stepped in and the scooter is the fish I'm supposed to have. lol

You can always get your mandarin when you get your 125 going!

Wouldnt that be too big for him? I was seriously considering putting one in my 55g in a few months. i think I have the right rock and support for him in there. Just concerned about the current fish harassing it. I also would def get an ORA one, just so i can have a shot at prepared foods with him. My luck it'll revert back to pods. lol

Wouldnt that be too big for him? I was seriously considering putting one in my 55g in a few months. i think I have the right rock and support for him in there. Just concerned about the current fish harassing it. I also would def get an ORA one, just so i can have a shot at prepared foods with him. My luck it'll revert back to pods. lol

Not too big no, might not see her as much though. The females have the higher nice fin I believe so try to get a female. I'm sure the ora would do fine in your 55 gallon too, and you'd see it more. The other fish wont harass the mandarin, most fish leave them alone completely (except triggers!)

i've kept them in large tanks. they are frequently seen, so don't worry about losing one. i wouldn't put one in a 29 or a 55 though, unless i could be sure it was eating prepared foods. it's a sad thing, watching a fish wither away before your eyes. it just happened to me with a copper banded butterfly. it took about 3 months.

Oh I wouldn't consider it unless I have luck with my scooter. That's a good test to see if I can sustain one. I'm trying my heart out with this guy.

What do you see being issues in a 55g X? I have over 80lbs of rock in there so far and a pretty established sand bed as well. And this isn't something I was planning on soon anyway, maybe by years end.

I am an old hippie from the 60's and what other fish looks "tie died?" If I can get a ORA mandarin, I might try again.

I'm still kinda a hippie chick which is why they appeal to me too! lol

I am kinda known for being a bit gaudy and ostentatious so this fish fits my personality completely. :-D

I have the angel fish and quite a few wrasses. Nothing is colored like a Mandarine goby.
I have had no issues with jumping wrasses, but hawk fish on the other hand...

I have had my scooter for a month now and he seems to be doing fine I have lots of pods and if you watch him he is always eating

My concern is that my cube is only a few weeks old. It can't have had enough time to produce a solid poplulation of pods I'd guess.

To answer the question of flashers being jumpers. I have a school of 4. And have covered tops, I had the top open to do maintenance once and a while. I have had to pick them up off the floor several times. So yes definitely jumpers.

people say they have "lots of pods" but the ones that we see are amphipods, not copepods. the food a mandarin eats is extremely hard to see. i don't know for sure if a mandarin eats juvenile amphipods, but in my experience, they do not. "my experience" meaning of the tanks i have kept mandarins in, i haven't seen a rapid decline, or any decline for that matter, in amphipods.

that is a good point. how small are copepods? I see pods of all sizes. the smallest I can see when I use a laser in a dark hole in the rocks. They look like a cluster of dust particles bouncing around. I've also seen bigger pods that look like actual bugs, I suck them out of the sump sometimes and let my clowns chase after them. I've read the articles about pods, but it is still hard to know which is which.

Back
Top Bottom